“Seek, first among all other things, one truth; that all who were born unto this world deserve their opportunity to find freedom.” – Alith-Handar, First Among the Free
Though the Malkin themselves do not often take kindly to the comparison, physically they resemble a race of bipedal cats, fur-covered humanoids with pointed ears and a long, non-prehensile tail. Perhaps their most defining characteristic though is their innate resistance to spells, which cannot be controlled but can become stronger in some Malkin over time.
Many of the adult Malkin on the continent today were not born here, but were instead bred by the arcaners of Magedom as servants and soldiers in that far-away land. Under the leadership of Alith-Handar, a large number of these so-called Kargath managed to escape during the Great Uprising of 2014 A.T. and eventually made their way to the continent where they have sought to create a new home and cultural identity for themselves. Perhaps unsurprisingly, nearly all such Malkin possess an extreme distrust of mages and a fear of being confined.
The Malkin race claims no official nations or built-up cities of their own. Instead, those Malkin who have not integrated themselves into the populations of other lands, live in a series of dispersed enclaves that maintain sizable territories in unclaimed areas across the continent, and they will fiercely defend their territory. Though natural-born hunters, and often possessing martial training from their former lives in Magedom, Malkin today can be found in nearly all walks of life.
- Begin with 10 Skill Points (SP)
- Begin with 6 Life Points (LP)
- Begin with 2 Resurrections
- Begin with one Weapon Skill (all pre-requisites must be met at character creation)
- Begin with one innate Spell Shield skill. This innate ability is always on until used. Once this ability is used it is treated as a per-encounter skill. Similarly, if used between encounters, it automatically returns after 5 minutes. The call for this is “Spell Shield”.
- May purchase additional innate Spell Shields for 6 SP each
- May purchase LP to a maximum of 12 LP
- Must pay double Skill Points for the Magery skill
- Must take double the amount of required time in order to regenerate Magical Energy
- Must take double the amount of required time in order to regenerate Spiritual Energy
- Prosthetic furry, pointed ears
- Make-up indicating the patterned skin of a large hunting cat (all exposed skin must be represented)
- Solid, singularly black or brown make-up is not permitted
- Long cat-like tail